Monday, September 26, 2016

summer reading: audiobooks

hey kids, more books!  these are (some of) the audiobooks I plowed through over the summer...


1. all of the harry potter books (picture from here).  all of them.  I still haven't gotten my hands on the new book/script/thing, but I will eventually read it for better or for worse.  fun fact: I teach middle school latin, and middle schoolers are all just as obsessed with harry potter as I am.  we get along fantastically, and even do our vocab drills for house points.... these are narrated by stephen fry who is just fantastic.  favorite characters, anyone?  mine is lupin...


2. the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy and the long dark tea-time of the soul, both by douglas adams. the former a re-read, the latter new to me.  I forgot just how absurdly funny douglas adams is!  if you like weird science-fiction-comedy (or like, terry pratchett) then you should check these out.  long dark tea-time is actually narrated by the author! warning: occasional random strong language?


3. the sin of certainty, by peter enns.  this book I actually recommend probably reading hard-copy, as it's not a particularly good audiobook, it's just what was more convenient for me.  I heard peter enns on the liturgists podcast and decided to read his book. it's pretty good, in my opinion, but would have been easier to retain if I'd seen it on paper.

4. reaper man, by terry pratchett. a wonderful book, again a re-read, and even more fantastic than I remembered.  masterful understatement, quirky characters, plot twists, absurdity... good stuff.  narrator is also excellent on this one!  definitely worth listening to, even if you've already read the book on paper.


5. the weed that strings the hangman's bag and a red herring without mustard, both by alan bradley and books #2 and #3 of the flavia de luce series, respectively.  continuing onward in my re-read of the series as a whole, and enjoying them just as much the second time around.  may I also just say, the choice of narrator on these books is perfect.  I highly recommend consuming the series by audiobook rather than on paper.

what are you listening to these days?