Friday, June 10, 2016

ramen hack: pad thai-inspired noodle bowl

greetings, students!  this is my favorite ramen hack to date.  as in, when I made it, I wandered the kitchen muttering, "Imma genius!" under my breath.

stuff you'll need:

  • ramen you're trying to use up before you move (any variety because you're not using the flavor packet)
  • peanut butter
  • peanut oil or other oil
  • lil bit of garlic
  • soy sauce
  • frozen veg (broccoli/carrots/cauliflower blend)
  • red pepper flakes

step one: start your water boiling.  heat maybe a teaspoon of oil in a small frying pan and finely chop a little garlic.  throw that in there and let it cook up for a minute or two.


step two part a.) when your noodle water boils, cook the noodles...


step two part b.) meanwhile, throw a generous amount of frozen veg into the frying pan with about a tablespoon of water.  cover the frying pan to let the veg defrost/steam up a bit.


step three part a.) when your noodles are done, drain them and set aside for a sec.


step three part b.) when your veg is soft/cooked through, add a spoonful of peanut butter (maybe a tablespoon) and a comparable amount of soy sauce (or to taste) to the veg pan.  over low heat, stir this around till it dissolves into a kind of sauce.  


step four: add the noodles into the veg pan and mix up.  throw in red pepper flakes if you like them.  then serve and eat!  

this lasts me a lunch and a dinner, easy.  also, I will say that every time I make it I wish I'd put in more veg, but that's kind of dictated by the size of your pan.  let me know in the comments if you try this and you like it!