Saturday, March 5, 2016

small batch pretzels

I played hooky to bake these, sooooo...


first, I halved this recipe, and then I ignored anything in it that didn't suit me.  my ingredients ended up being:
  • 2 c flour
  • 1 tsp active dry yeast
  • 3/4 tsp salt (didn't measure at all, so take that with...a grain...of salt...OH I AM TOO GOOD)
  • 1/2 tbsp white sugar (didn't measure again)
  • 1/2 + 1/3 c warm water
  • 1/4 c baking soda


mostly after that I followed the directions.  I proofed the yeast in half a cup of warm water, mixed everything, kneaded, and let it rise.  I usually put my mixing bowl on top of a hot water bottle or rice hot pack just because it's so cold in my house.  I don't have parchment paper, so I just put a little olive oil on the pan.  the recipe is supposed to make 8, but I made 8 when I halved it anyway, so they're smaller.  they still turn out a good size because they rise quite a bit.


I did forget that they chill in the fridge for an hour, so it got dark before I finished these, so the light changes in the pictures... 


I also didn't bother setting a timer when I put them in the oven, since I made them half-size and figured they would be done sooner anyway.  just keep an eye on them and when they look awesome, they're done.  also: if they stick to the pan at all, let them cool on the pan and they'll pop off easier.  give 'em a shot and let me know how it goes in the comments!


L