Wednesday, March 16, 2016

nyc - central park and public library main branch

we took the train into the city yesterday to visit the american museum of natural history (to come in a separate post) and loiter in central park.


I spent the entire ride in contemplating the pastel spectrum of row houses in the western l.i. area and also pondering mournfully the mug half-full of coffee I had left on the kitchen table.


when we got out of penn station, we headed up toward central park via times square.  the weather was warmish, but gray, but impressively not raining.  further down the island, it was definitely raining.


we went to amnh but as I said, that will be covered in another post because - spoilers - I have a lot of pictures.  I'm getting all excited about the dinosaurs just thinking about it but rein it in, lydia. rein it in.


I had hoped that a bit more spring magic would occur in central park than this, but at least the daffs were starting to bloom.  a lot of the grass was turning bright green, too, and I like to look at tree shapes and imagine them with leaves and things on them.


(more spoilers - that's also my approach to dinosaur skeletons.  stand underneath and imagine them with meat on 'em.)


there were boats out on the pond and this guy improvising on a keyboard with some excellent vibes.


my brother thinks this structure was in the movie miracle on 34th street, but I don't remember it?  somebody report back in the comments.


there was a guy here, thirty-something, doing some very interesting circuits on a very saggy longboard.  he would bounce up and down, spin in circles, do a kind of rolling moonwalk, and shift his feet all over the place, all while swinging donuts on the pavement.


the gold on the statues and in the area is particularly striking on a gray day. 


I'm beginning to understand a little bit why a friend said that small towns are easier to hide in.  I didn't think so, for obvious reasons, citing that you can easily hide in the crowds and nobody looks twice at you.  nobody looks twice, that is, until you're just trying to find a place to sit down and drink a coffee for awhile.  surprisingly hard to do.  


and then there's the realization that as I am intently watching the people heading home at the end of the day, it's possible other people are people-watching me.  though I doubt it.  probaby only n00bs like me people-watch in the city anymore.  kind of like how n00bs like me still look up at the skyscrapers.


we went into the new york public library as well, but as my luck would have it, the main reading room was "temporarily closed" so we just wandered back out again, enjoying the architecture, and sat on the front patio for awhile. 


we then located a starbucks with two stools at a tiny bar facing the street, and watched people walk back and forth as the sun went down.  probably you can hear the exhaustion in this post, because I haven't had my coffee yet this morning, but I hope you enjoy the pictures!  look out for the natural history post coming up soon this week.


L