Sunday, June 22, 2014

how to get started on a penny board


So I am not an expert on skateboards by anyone's definition.  The Penny board is super popular at my school, and I've been wanting one for about three years, but they do not, surprisingly, cost a penny.  I didn't want to drop so much money on a board when I have terrible coordination and wasn't even sure I'd be able to pull it off.  So, I went to Walmart and got a cheap knock-off version...and turns out I love it!  Here are my tips for getting started: 


When you're pushing off to get going, do your best to keep your center of gravity over the foot that is on the board.  If you don't, you'll end up potentially shooting the board out from under you.  Not cool.  So lean forward over your left foot, and maintain that position while you start rolling forward. The next thing you'll do is place your right foot on the board, sideways to form an upside-down T with your left foot. 


But don't leave it in the T!  When I first started out, I was like, "I can't move my foot when I'm on the board!" But you can.  Immediately rotate your left foot so you're in the position above.  This makes a world of difference for your balance when you're coasting.  


My last tip is about turning.  To turn right, you'll put all your weight on your toes, and to turn left, you'll put all your weight on your heels.  The key is to have enough speed built up, which will allow you to actually make a turn quickly and keep your balance at the same time.  And keep your knees bent when turning!  It helps a lot.

Do you ride a small board like this?  Do you have any tips for beginners?