Thursday, May 1, 2014

one week of oil pulling


Oil pulling is all the rage.  There's plenty of opinions out there on it, so I'll let you form your own, but I figured I'd try it out for a week and see how I liked it.


Day 1:  The oil is completely solid.  Mind over matter, mind over matter, mind over matter.  I only make it for 15 minutes.  It's really not as unpleasant after the first minute as the squeamish internet people say it is....  I spit it out and swish really quick with a little water.  My teeth feel clean, which is nice, but we'll have to wait and see if it has any other effects.

Day 2:  I wake up late so I'm in a rush and do the oil pulling while running around.  The distraction makes it a lot easier!  Again with the clean feeling, which lasts several hours.

Day 3: Full 20 minutes today.  I may be hallucinating, but...I think my teeth might actually be a little bit whiter!

Day 4: The yuck-factor is pretty much entirely gone now.  I'm like, "Whatevs! *swish swish swish*"  No problem!

Day 5: Yeah I actually really think my teeth look a tiny bit whiter.  Myth or no myth?  Probably more like personal experience.  So no guarantees for your results if you try oil pulling, but there is hope!

Day 6: Well, I can't lie, I'm glad the week is almost over...  20 minutes is a long time for a busy college kid in the mornings!  However, I think I might still oil pull from time to time, because it does make my teeth feel clean and my gums feel happy and might even do a little whitening!

Day 7:  I made it!  It's not really so bad, but like I said...it's not blowing me away either.  This'll probably be a few-times-a-week habit.

Have you tried oil pulling?  What's your experience?