Thursday, May 8, 2014

cold brew coffee

Hands down.  Number one.  Super mega favorite.


That's how I feel about cold brew coffee.  It seems smoother, richer, and less harsh than hot coffee.  Plus, when you're brewing hot coffee, it's easy to burn the heck out of your coffee by accident.  And surely I'm not the only one who doesn't feel like a steaming cup of Joe on a fine summer morning?

Plus all you need for this is a French press, and we all know how I feel about minimizing your kitchen appliances.  (Do we all know?  Well, you can guess.)

Here's how to make some wonderful cold-brew coffee for you!

Step 1:  Right before bed, put about 3 tablespoons of coffee grounds in the bottom of your French press.  You can adjust your amount to make stronger or weaker coffee, but I honestly eyeball it and it turns out great!  Now of course, this is all about the ratio, and will depend on the size of your press.  I use at least 3 tablespoons of grounds and about 16 oz. of cold filtered water.


Step 2:  Pour in the aforementioned cold filtered water.  I use my Britta pitcher.  I don't think it makes any difference, but I like to pour it around to really wet down all the grounds.  Of course, you could always just stir up the water-grounds mix after the fact...


Step 3:  Stick the lid on the French press but DO NOT PRESS THE PLUNGER DOWN.  Just leave it, dorkily standing up, on the counter over night.


Step 4:  In the morning, plunge it and it's ready!  I have a little system down:  I pour out about 12 oz, add in 3 coffee ice cubes, and use what's left in the press to make 3 new coffee ice cubes.  Then I pour in milk or a little creamer and mix it all up!

And just because I'm a fuss-budget: iced hot coffee =/= cold brew coffee!  This is actually...you know...brewed cold.  It's the best.