Sunday, March 16, 2014

how to make coffee with an aeropress

Note: Due to the excessive amount of homework that I have this week, I'm pulling this never-before-published post from the past drafts archives!  It's never too late to learn how to make a good cup of joe! 

Dad's Father's Day gift was this Aerobie coffee press, which makes an espresso-like coffee that is fantaaastic!  He graciously made me a shot while I took pictures of the process.  I apologize for the quality of the shots, but it was quite dark and gloomy out.  Anyways, here's how to use an aeropress!


This is what came in the kit: the press with plunger, a stirring stick, a measuring spoon, a year's worth of filters (if you drink one a day, I suppose), and a funnel (not pictured).


Place a filter into the little strainer and wet it down to stick it in place.  Screw the strainer onto the press and place it over your coffee cup.


 Measure out two level scoops of coffee grounds into the press.  I recommend a fine grind, but not an espresso grind since it will be hard to push the plunger down.  My Melitta coffee is pretty much perfect.


Bring your water almost to a boil, and then let it sit for about two minutes.  You want a temperature around 190 degrees F.  Slowly pour the water into the press up to the 2 mark.


Stir the grounds around a little bit to enhance the "bloom."


Remove the press and you have your shot of pretty-much-espresso!  You can add a little more boiling water for an Americano, or steamed milk for a latte.


 My dad says this is basically the best cup of coffee he's ever had, and a cut above places like Starbucks for sure!  It's super smooth.  I might need to get my hands on one of these aeropresses in the near future!