Saturday, March 8, 2014

earl grey shortbread cookies


 I made these for the first time awhile ago, with the very same totally rad friend as these heavenly pretzels.  But last night, I thought to myself, "Gee, those were really good!  It sure would be nice to have those with my tea tomorrow...."


However, it is an obvious fact that one simply cannot make such phenomenal cookies all by oneself.  So here's a simple version.  I believe the recipe we used the first time was this one.  And I highly recommend it, though we added some orange zest because we were inspired.  But in the event of a home-alone Friday night and wanting to make a smaller batch with few ingredients, here's what I did this time:

Ingredients:
  • 1 stick of softened butter (1/2 cup) 
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • Earl Grey black tea, 1 tea bag's worth
Mash your butter into your sugar.  Mash away.  I added the tea leaves at this point as well.  Make sure all the clumps of butter are beaten out into a nice, creamy mash.  Add your flour about a half-cup at a time and stir.  Feel free to use your hands there at the end.  Shape the dough into a cylinderish shape and roll it up in cling-wrap.  Refrigerate for maybe a half-hour.  Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.  Slice your dough roll to create snazzy little round cookies...let's say about 1/3 of an inch thick.  Lay them out on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet and bake for about 25-30 minutes, until the edges are just barely browned.  These guys toast up quick, so keep an eye on them.  Let cool a bit on pan before removing.  Makes about 16 cookies.  Store in an airtight container for a few days, if they don't get eaten immediately.  (Riiiiiiiiiight.)


Dip them in your coffee, I dare you.