Wednesday, July 3, 2013

currently reading #2



Brilliant chap!  Absolutely!  I mean, what?

If you like good British wit and humor, a sprinkling of golf stories, a dash of poetry, and a whole lot of understatement and irony... get thee to a bookstore and find thee some Wodehouse.  Or, like, hit up the free Kindle books on Amazon.  Cause that's what I do.


A contemporary of Belloc and Kipling, Wodehouse (pronounced "wood house") was the creator of the Jeeves and Wooster stories, which feature a likable, simple, moneyed gentleman and his genius "man" Jeeves.  I personally love Wodehouse's golf stories and independent silly romances, and that says something, since I generally despise romances.  I resort to them during such trying times as, you know, finals week.  Or when I've just read The Bell Jar and Nabokov in quick succession and need something to make me want to live.  Just kidding. Except I'm totally serious.

If you're just getting started with Plum (nickname for Pelham), I recommend a compilation of some sort.  After that, go ahead and download a bazillion of the Kindle e-books.  They're quick reads.  I've just finished Uneasy Money and loved it, and am currently into Right Ho, Jeeves!