Monday, June 3, 2013

on packing

I recently moved back home for the summer from my school eight hours away...which is a process, to say the least, especially in the middle of finals!  I thought I'd put together a few thoughts on packing, accompanied by an Instagram photo of the last sunrise seen from my old room's window.


Double-duty things make moving easier.  That's kind of vague, but as an example, I have three old painted crates, which when stacked, provide great shelving, and when...unstacked, form packing boxes!

Invest in storage containers, and pick them carefully.  Try to avoid bins and boxes with curving or tapering sides, or big unwieldy handle shapes.  That just makes it really hard to effectively fill the space inside and fit the bin itself into tight spots.

Nest levels of organization.  I keep a lot of my daily toiletry products in these mini-crates from Walmart.  They keep everything organized in my drawers, and when it comes time to move, they stack and fit easily into a larger container.  On the top level, I might have a crate filled with things I keep in my desk drawers, while on the nested level, those things inside are organized into smaller units.  It might bulk up your total amount of stuff a little bit, but it makes packing and unpacking so much easier.

Anyways, that's that, and now I'm home.  As always, take packing as an opportunity to not-pack stuff, but rather donate or toss it!  I like to reevaluate what I've got every time I move back and forth from school.  Do you have any packing tips?