Tuesday, May 21, 2013

how to slice up a mango

The other day I was shopping the produce section looking for some variety and I found mangoes on sale!  I've never actually bought a fresh mango and eaten it, so I wasn't sure how to get into it.  If you are similarly confused, here is a general how-to.


I didn't know this, but mangoes have one long, thin seed in the middle.  So the first thing you want to do is slice the mango into three sections, with the two outer slices a little thicker than the middle one.  To do this, place the little stem-knobby-thing down on the cutting board and slice straight downward about half an inch on either side.


Take the outer slices and begin scoring slices into them, but don't cut through the skin.  Just cut through the flesh of the fruit, leaving the skin intact. I like to start out with slices about an inch apart, and then go back and put in slices in between all of those.  That gives me a grid of half-inch by half-inch squares.


Now pop the mango inside out by pushing on the middle of the skin.  This is so cool looking!


I pull or cut off the sectioned fruit from the skin.  You can eat mangoes just like this, but I'm not really a fan.  They kinda feel like shark skin when fresh.  I like to stick the cubes in a bag and freeze them.  Then use them in smoothies, or just eat them...like I'm doing right now.

Do you eat mangoes?  What do you put them in?