Monday, May 6, 2013

how to create an aged photo effect in GIMP

Today I wanted to just share a quick tutorial with you on photoediting.  I use GIMP, which is a free software and, in my opinion, works almost as well as your typical Photoshop.  Here's a quick color curves how-to for a nice, dark, aged-looking effect on a photo.  I love to process my indoor photos with this technique, because it makes them seem warm and cozy and relaxed.  Here, I'm going to show the effect on a picture of Union Station, in Kansas City.


Start by opening your picture in GIMP.  Click on the "Colors" menu in the top left part of the screen.


In that dropdown menu, click on "Curves."  A little dialogue box will pop up, and you need to adjust each curve to match the ones above.  On the Value channel, drag the end point up, and then click on the line to create a middle point.  Drag that downward. The other channels don't require much editing, just a tweak here and there.



And here is the finished effect!  Do you like it?