Tuesday, May 28, 2013

fire smoothie: the magic cure

There's not much worse than waking up to the feeling of a jackhammer in your head, a frog in your throat, and small quantities of sneeze-inducing dynamite in your nose.  I suffer from seasonal allergies when the pollen counts skyrocket, and I tend to catch about one cold a year...and I have discovered the cure!  Well...that might be an exaggeration...but this is a surefire way to feel better!  If I wake up sick, I drink this fire smoothie first thing in the morning.


It contains cayenne pepper to clear your sinuses and airways, honey to soothe a sore throat, and lemon juice to help hoarse vocal cords.  All of these ingredients are suspended in and ice-water slush, which combats the burning aftertaste from the pepper.  The best strategy is to drink it rapidly, without diluting it, so as to get the full effect.    Recipe below!

  • 1 cup cold water
  • 4 or 5 ice cubes
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne (or as much as you can stand)

Blend together until ice is pulverized and enjoy!  Or at least, enjoy the clearing and healing effects that come afterward...  I made a small dose for my roommate when she had an impressive collection of "-itis" variants, and she agreed that it helps break up the gunk!  (Ew gross.)