Tuesday, April 30, 2013

three quick ways to eat an avocado


Oh, glorious.  The first time I had an avocado, I must have done it wrong, because I remember the consistency being a turn-off.  Come to think of it, I didn't like guacamole the first time I tried that, either.  What was wrong with me?  Momentary lapse of sanity, I guess.

Don't be like me.  Adore the avocado.  Cherish the avocado.  Build a little shrine to the avoca--no, don't, that's weird.

Eat the avocado.  Three quick and easy ways, coming right up!

1. Straight out of the husk...peel...skin...hang on, wikipedia break! Skin, I think.  Also, they're called alligator pears?  That's amazing.


So yeah, get a knife and slice your avocado in half.  There is a pit...seed...stone...I give up! in there, so be careful.  Twist the halves in opposite directions and they'll come apart with the pit stuck to one.
Put that half down and hit the pit with the blade of your knife, so that it lodges in it.  Don't pull on your knife now, just twist it, and the pit will come right out.  Push it off the knife from the back to avoid, you know, cutting your hand off.



Salt is really important here.  Sprinkle that thing with sea salt to your heart's delight.  You can eat it with a normal spoon if it's really ripe, but I like mine a little firmer, so I use a grapefruit spoon.  You know, the pointy, serrated ones you can get at the dollar store?



2. Mash it up into a spread and put it on toast!  I love eating this for lunch on those days when the weather is nice, I'm feeling like a vegetarian, and/or I'm not all that hungry but I know I should eat.  Just scoop out your avocado with a spoon while you're making a piece of toast.  Add a good dollop of cream cheese and about half a teaspoon of salt. 


Mash it all up with a fork. 


Freak out when the toast pops up because you weren't prepared for it.  Collect yourself, butter your toast, and spread it with the avocado.  Wear a helmet because this is so good, it will blow your mind!


3. Cook an egg in it!  First, slice one half of the avocado longways, so you get a "ring" of avocado.  Save the other half and the extra slice.  You can eat them now, or sprinkle the cut surfaces with lemon juice, wrap them in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for later.


Lay the avocado piece with the hole in it flat in a non-stick pan and stick in a few pats of butter.  Then crack an egg over the avocado, dropping the yolk into the hole without breaking it.  It's okay that the white overflows.



Sprinkle with salt, turn on the stove, and cook it over medium heat for a few minutes.  Flip it, add more salt, and let it cook for a few more minutes.  You want the white to be cooked but the yolk to be soft, and the avocado will protect it from hardening pretty well. When it's done to your liking, serve and eat, scooping everything out of the ring of skin.


Do you like avocados?  What's your favorite way to eat them?