Sunday, April 7, 2013

on yoga


I'm a bit of a contradiction, I'll admit.  Despite being a total hippie in many ways, I still retain the right to make fun of other hippies.  As such, I'm slightly scornful of wheatgrass (what is that even?), hemp, and meditation.  You won't hear me saying "Om.." unless it comes right before "...nomnom chocolate!"

However!  I do believe in breathing.  My chiropractor informs me that breathing is what equalizes your body, helping to correct all the crazy imbalances that stress causes.  I, for one, don't handle stress very well.  I have also struggled with some serious health issues for the past five months.  More on that later, maybe.  I feel like it's one of those "Here's my story but I'm better now!" type things, so I have to get better first.  Anyways, it became not-very-smart for me to continue my workout regimen while unable to, like, eat food, so I turned to yoga.  

Yoga is frustrating.  You can get books out of the library, but they're basically useless.  There's a rhythm to it, and you can't do that trying to see a page that keeps trying to flip over...  And not everyone can take classes.  So I'm a fan of Tara Stiles.  She's the kind of person I'd be friends with in real life: kinda dorky, really healthy, and...a knitter!  I use her videos on her YouTube channel to wind down every night.  I'm not sure why I didn't get into this years ago, when I was expected to do a lot of yoga for my scoliosis... but better late than never!  I'm kinda sorta really mortified by my lack of flexibility, but I'm confident it'll get better with practice!

Give it a try, and let me know what you think!  Do you practice yoga?  Do you have a guru/role model of your own?  

Picture of Tara Stiles via her blog