Monday, April 22, 2013

April ipsy

Last week, I received my first "Glam Bag" (what a name!) from ipsy!  If you haven't heard of ipsy yet, it's a small business started by Michelle Phan that sends a bag of hand-picked samples to subscribers every month.  As someone who knows very little about make-up, it works perfectly for me.  The samples/products are the perfect size, so if you love something, you've got plenty of it, but if you don't, it's not a huge waste.  And for $10 a month, it's pretty much foolproof.  I don't have the guts to stand in the cosmetics aisle and try to find something I want to try--do you?  If I can get it sent to me by someone who knows their stuff, with free shipping, every month, I will!  It took me about a month to get off the wait-list and into rotation, so if you want to sign up, do it quickly.


That's some pretty funky packaging there...  It made me smile.


This month came with a small ipsy bag, which is understandably pretty low quality but still handy.  The products are listed below with a short review:

  • Powder Play by Big Sexy Hair.  I am being completely honest when I say this is the holy grail product for super-short fine hair like mine.  I wish the real thing didn't cost so much, but I'm seriously considering getting it.  It's everything it claims to be--volume, texture, so much texture!  Okay, I'm done.
  • Shimmer Powder by Mica Beauty in Earth.  I haven't tried this yet, but it seems like a nice loose pigment in a pinkish color.
  • Nail lacquer by Sation in "Of Corset I'll Call You."  Where do they get these names?  I like this color.  It's not very opaque so it takes a few coats to hide your nailbed "moons" but I'm okay with that.  
  • Blush by Be a Bombshell in Sweet Cheeks.  This one got beat up during shipping, but it's definitely still usable.  It is BRIGHT, y'all.  A little goes a long way.  A nice pink that blends in well and makes you look like you've been in the sun.  
I estimate a value of about $30 or a little less with all of these.  Bravo, ipsy.  I'm a fan.